Looking for work?
If you’re living with an injury, illness or disability and want to work, you probably already know how hard it can be to find a job.
Not only do you face the same interview and job application pressures as other job seekers, you may also have to battle the misconceptions about your ability to carry out the work.
At APM we believe there is a job out there for everyone who wants to work, whatever their circumstances. With six sites operating across Nepean, we’re determined to make it as simple as possible.
We have helped thousands of people with various disabilities and health conditions get the job they need by working together with them and their employer.
We do this by helping you and your employer realise the benefits of choosing you for the job.
As part of the Disability Employment Services program, you become a valuable candidate to potential employers. By committing to the program and taking part in regular activities with APM, you’re able to:
- Show your reliability and positive attitude to challenges
- Display independence and responsibility by working to achieve your goals, find and apply for jobs, and develop resume and interview skills
- Show you work well with others as part of a team by working with your APM employment consultant and joining any group activities or workshops
Depending on your circumstances and the work you apply for, you may also get additional support to secure a job, including:
- Training specific to the job or workplace
- Access to short courses relevant to the industry
- Help with transport to and from work
- Support to get the tools, equipment or clothing you need in the job
All of these benefits come as part of an individual job plan that you work through with APM. Your work plan takes into account your physical or mental health conditions or disability.
Hiring you is good for business
Employers that participate in APM’s Disability Employment Services program may also save money when hiring you.
The government provides wage subsidies for eligible employees with a disability. In some cases, an employer can receive up to $10,000 for hiring you.
There is also funding available to improve or modify a workplace, deliver training and provide any special tools or software you might need to perform your job well. This could be as simple as providing the funds for a special desk to help reduce back pain, or funding for a new ramp or staircase to replace a difficult entrance.
People with disability are often more reliable members of staff
Research has shown that employees with disability take fewer sick days, have greater loyalty to their company, and generally boost morale in a team or workforce.
By supporting Australian businesses for more than 20 years, we have seen other benefits for hiring people with disability, including:
- Increased diversity and new approaches to tasks and problem solving
- Improved reputation and customer view of an employer’s brand
- New relationships and opportunities with customers and the community
If you want to find out more about APM’s Disability Employment Services program, visit our website or call 1800 276 276.
Come and see what we can offer at the Nepean Disability Expo on Friday and Saturday, September 14 and 15 at Penrith Panthers’ Exhibition Marquee. Register HERE to attend this FREE event hosted by 4community, the social impact advisory that advances the impact of other organisations and increasing access to the right products and services for people with disability.